Wednesday, September 12, 2007

HW 6: Interest statement for semester long project

My interests in social computing technologies I am most interested in email and email lists, instant messaging, and social networking services. I’m interested in email and email lists because so many people rely on email to keep them connect with family and friend who live so far away but what to keep up to date on everything. Instant messaging because all my friends are always on it all the time and I really would like to know what is behind the whole makeup. And social networking services because basically without facebook and being at college it would be pretty impossible to keep in touch with all my friends who went away to other states for school.
The kinds of empowerment that I am most interested in are overcoming sexism because I feel that gender still plays a huge role in our everyday lives and I personally don’t feel that it is 100% fair. Overcoming ageism because I feel that the older generations seem to look down on us as a group and stereotype that we are all like that without actually getting to know us on a first hand basis. And also religious intolerance/barriers between people or different religions because I feel as if people judge you on the beliefs you have and if you believe something different they have to think differently about you also.
The geographical areas I am most interested in are the US because that is where we live every day. And another one is North America because it is us and we are surrounded by it all the time.

No comments: